Sweet Potato and Carrot Casserole with Molasses and Pecans
Rose Reisman2005-09-18 16:43:16
Makes 6 servings
I adapted this recipe from my first low-fat cookbook Rose Reisman's Light Cooking. If you can find fresh sweet pineapple, use it instead of the canned. You're getting a double blast of beta carotene from the sweet potatoes and carrots.
- 1 lb sweet potatoes, peeled and cut in 1/2" cubes
- 1 lb carrots, thinly sliced widthwise
- 1-1/4 cups fresh or drained canned pineapple chunks
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tbsp orange juice concentrate
- 1 tbsp margarine or butter
- 2 tbsp molasses
- 1-1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3 tbsp chopped toasted pecans
1. Preheat oven to 350? F. Spray a 9" square baking dish with cooking spray.
2. In a saucepan, combine sweet potatoes and carrots with cold water to cover. Bring to a boil. Cook for 7 minutes or until tender. Drain.
3. In a bowl, toss sweet potatoes and carrots with pineapple and cranberries. Place in a prepared baking dish.
4. In a small saucepan, combine brown sugar, orange juice concentrate, margarine, molasses, and cinnamon; cook, stirring, over medium heat for 1 minute, or until melted and smooth.
5. Pour sauce over vegetables. Bake covered for 15 minutes or until heated through. Toss, then sprinkle with pecans.
Tips: A great dish to prepare up to a day in advance and heat just before serving. To toast the nuts, heat them in a skillet and toast until just browned, approximately 3 minutes; be careful not to burn them.