Pilau (Spiced Rice with Green Peas)
The Toronto Jewish Quilting Project2005-11-13 23:17:05
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 3 tbsp corn or peanut oil
- 3 tbsp chopped onion
- 2 cups Basmati rice, well-rinsed and soaked for 30 minutes
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1 cup green peas, fresh or frozen
- 1 cardamom pod
- 1 whole clove
- 1 cinnamon stick (1 inch)
- 3 1/4 cups water, or more as needed
1. Toast the cumin seeds in a dry skillet over low heat for 1 minute or until the aroma is released. Set aside.
2. Heat the oil in a pan over moderate heat; fry the onion for 2 minutes, or until it turns golden. Add the rice and stir well. Add the turmeric, salt, and toasted cumin seeds and continue to fry the rice lightly for 2 minutes.
3. Add the peas, cardamom, clove, and cinnamon. Stir and add the water. Bring to a boil and immediately turn the heat to low. Cover the pan and cook for 12-15 minutes. Stir once toward the end of that time. If the rice appears too firm, add another tablespoon or two of water. Cook for another minute, turn off heat, and allow the rice to rest in the covered pan for 15 minutes before dining. Serve warm.
Tips: This rice may be lightly reheated just before dinner.