Camp Northland-B'nai Brith
Sick of chicken? Try this! 2006-06-12 14:06:44
Camp Northland-B'nai Brith (NBB) is about learning to value nature, one another and oneself through positive experience. Whether forming life-long friendships, developing personal skills or just having fun, our programs encourage group cooperation while appreciating individual strengths and differences.
Our goal of providing a nurturing environment for children to challenge themselves is enriched by the Camp's adventurous surroundings. The 750 secluded acres on Moose Lake in the Haliburton Highlands support a wide range of water and land sports, as well as a concert hall, playhouse and recreational buildings.
Campers ages 7 to 15 may attend 3 or 4 week sessions of 550 campers each. NBB's 3:1 camper to staff ratio promotes a small family atmosphere, while also ensuring individual instruction with close supervision. At age 16, campers may enroll in our Counsellor in Training (CIT) program where training focuses on responsibility, leadership, safety and interest in children. All 200 counsellors receive rigorous instruction in first aid, counselling and specialized activities.
Fresh Tomato Soup
- 1 1/2 lb tomatoes, peeled
- 1 tbsp butter or margarine
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 4 cups broth (vegetable or pareve chicken)
- 1 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp butter or margarine
- 3 tbsp rich cream or milk (optional; use non-dairy substitute for pareve version)
- Sherry to taste (optional)
1. Cut tomatoes into wedges. Melt 1 tbsp butter or margarine in saucepan and saut? onions and tomatoes for 10 minutes. Add seasonings and broth and boil gently uncovered for 15 minutes.
2. Blend flour and 2 tbsp butter or margarine into a paste and stir into soup until well mixed. Simmer over low heat for 5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and adjust seasonings to taste.
Tips: Recipe can be doubled. Freezes well.
Seasoned Salmon Fillets
- 4 salmon fillets (trout is excellent also)
- Char Crust Seasoning (available at Pusateri's)
- Cooking oil spray
1. Spray baking sheet lightly with cooking oil spray. Dredge fish fillets in Char Crust seasoning, covering all surfaces. Place fillets, skin side down, on baking sheet and spray top of fillets lightly with cooking oil spray. Bake at 400? F for 8 minutes or until done.
Twice Baked Potatoes
- 5 large baking potatoes
- 3/4 cup milk or non-dairy substitute for pareve version
- 1 - 1 1/2 cup light sour cream or tofu sour cream
- Seasoned salt
- Butter or margarine
1. Scrub potatoes and prick to allow steam to escape. Bake 1 hour at 400? F or until done. Cut in half lengthwise and scoop out potatoes, leaving shells intact.
2. Whip potatoes with milk and sour cream until smooth and creamy. Fill potato shells with whipped potato mixture. There will be enough filling for 7-8 shells.
3. Place filled potatoes on baking sheet. Sprinkle with seasoned salt. Dot with butter or margarine. Sprinkle with paprika. Bake until hot, approx 10 minutes at 400? (can be longer at lower temperature if oven is roasting something else).
- One 9-inch baked pie shell
- 2 boxes strawberries, washed, drained, and hulled
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 pint blueberries, washed and drained
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
1. Mash 1 box of strawberries and add enough water to make 1 1/2 cups of juice. Combine this mixture with sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, and boil for 1 minute. Set aside.
2. Place whole uncooked strawberries in pie shell and scatter blueberries in spaces. Pour cooked filling over fresh fruit.
3. Refrigerate for 2 hours. May decorate with whipped cream (pareve or real cream).