Mushroom Barley Soup
Temple Har Zion2006-02-13 09:07:57
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 lb mushrooms, sliced thickly
- 10 cups water
- 2/3 cup barley
- 1 tbsp pareve margarine
- 1 tbsp beef bouillon powder
- 2 tbsp chicken bouillon powder
- Pepper to taste
1. Chop green pepper, red pepper, carrots, celery, and onion. Slice mushrooms thickly. In large pot, bring water to a boil. Add barley and boil for 20 minutes.
2. Add peppers, carrots, celery, onion, mushrooms, margarine, bouillon powders, and black pepper. Simmer over low heat for another 30 minutes.
Tips: This is a very chunky soup - if you like a finer soup, chop vegetables in smaller pieces.