Temple Har Zion
An easy Friday night feast - perfect for entertaining the in-laws!2006-02-13 09:08:19
Temple Har Zion is a Reform Jewish congregation located in Thornhill. We are a warm, vibrant and diverse congregation of approximately 600 families. Temple Har Zion is committed to preserving Jewish heritage and Jewish continuity through education, making services meaningful and accessible, reinforcing and enhancing Jewish identity, providing family participation, ensuring equality for men and women in all aspects of temple life, emphasizing adult education and committing to social action.
Temple Har Zion is a member of CCRJ - Canadian Council For Reform Judaism and of URJ - Union for Reform Judaism. We offer Hebrew and religious classes, preschool (nursery, JK and SK enrichment), adult education, choir, and a youth group. We welcome guests to attend our services and to participate in our activities. Please contact us if you have questions or if you would like to visit us, join us for worship, or participate in our activities.
Recipes are from our cookbook, Our Foods Revisited, available at the synagogue office.
Mushroom Barley Soup
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 lb mushrooms, sliced thickly
- 10 cups water
- 2/3 cup barley
- 1 tbsp pareve margarine
- 1 tbsp beef bouillon powder
- 2 tbsp chicken bouillon powder
- Pepper to taste
1. Chop green pepper, red pepper, carrots, celery, and onion. Slice mushrooms thickly. In large pot, bring water to a boil. Add barley and boil for 20 minutes.
2. Add peppers, carrots, celery, onion, mushrooms, margarine, bouillon powders, and black pepper. Simmer over low heat for another 30 minutes.
Tips: This is a very chunky soup - if you like a finer soup, chop vegetables in smaller pieces.
Orange Chicken Fiesta
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 5 oz frozen orange juice concentrate
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- 4 lbs cut up chicken
1. Preheat oven to 375? F. Combine onion soup mix, orange juice concentrate, cornstarch, and poultry seasoning. Set aside.
2. Trim excess fat from chicken pieces. Pat dry and arrange skin side up in a single layer in a 13 x 9 baking pan. Pour seasoned orange onion mixture over chicken.
3. Cover and bake for 1 hour, and then uncover and bake for 15 minutes, basting chicken occasionally with sauce.
- 1 head cauliflower
- 3 medium carrots, peeled or scrubbed
- 1 green pepper (optional), cut in strips
- 3 or less green onions (optional)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise-style fat free dressing
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Quick Method: In food processor, grate carrots using the grater blade. Slice cauliflower, green pepper, and green onions using the slicer blade. Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Proceed to prepare the dressing.
Attractive Method: Break the cauliflower into little flowerets. Slice the green pepper and onions into small pieces. Grate the carrots by hand or machine. Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Proceed to prepare the dressing.
2. Combine dressing ingredients, except salt and pepper. Taste. Add salt and pepper. Pour over cauliflower mixture and combine to cover the vegetables with marinade. Leave for one to two hours for best flavour.
Herb Roasted New Potatoes
- 1 lb new red potatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp rosemary
- 1 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1 1/2 tsp parsley
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400? F. Toss together all ingredients. Place on a greased cookie sheet or a cookie sheet lined with a teflon liner. Bake for 45-55 minutes, or until soft.
Low Fat Plum Cake
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 cup + 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/4 lb prune plums, pitted and halved (can be replaced with apples or peaches)
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350? F. Mix together flour and baking powder. Add the oil and 1 cup of sugar. Beat the eggs and vanilla. Combine both mixtures together.
2. Spray 9" springform pan. Spread the mixture in the bottom of the pan. Place plums or apples or peaches over the top of the mixture, cut side down.
3. Mix together cinnamon and 1 tbsp sugar and sprinkle over the fruit. Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour.