Nutty Fattouch Salad
Rosie Schwartz2005-09-12 17:02:45
This flavourful salad, inspired by Israeli chef Avi Steinitz Style of the Dan Hotels, will have them begging you to make it regularly.
- 3 cups coarsely chopped fresh assorted herbs (parsely, chives, cilantro, dill, mint)
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 2 tbsp coarsely chopped assorted nuts (walnuts, pecans, pine nuts, etc.), toasted
- 1 tbsp za'atar
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2-3 small pitas, toasted, cooled, and broken into large pieces
1. In a large bowl, toss together chopped herbs, tomato, red pepper, and za'atar. Drizzle on oil and lemon juice and toss. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
2. Place a pita on each plate and ladle salad mixture over the pitas. Alternatively, the pitas can be broken up and tossed in with the vegetables and herbs.
Tips: This herb salad is also wonderful as a bed for grilled fish. Za'atar, a blend of dried hyssop, sumac, and sesame seeds, is available at Middle Eastern grocers. Together with a good quality olive oil, it's a wonderful topping for flatbreads and pitas.